Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Thursday 12 April 2018

Brilliant work from Malcolm Nicol leads to my dishonourable discharge

Surgeon Malcolm Nicol @Raigmore Hospital


Yesterday I had my last follow up appointment with Malcolm Nicol, the surgeon who supervised the operation on Thursday 4th January 2018 to reattach my quads to my left knee. 

Nicol was sufficiently satisfied with my progress following three weeks of the brace at 90˚ that he discharged me – a dishonourable one, I trust. Meaning that it is no longer necessary to wear the brace, which has spent all too long of the last nine weeks sliding down my left leg... I have to say that it was initially decidedly strange to walk without the brace. Even though covered by my joggers my left leg and knee felt curiously naked and exposed. Perhaps not that surprising seeing that I have been wearing either a splint or a brace since Tuesday 2nd January. 

Today I discovered that I can now manage a complete pedal stroke on a bike, although there is still a tightness, so I will have to take care. My excellent physio – Julie Porteous (Highland Physiotherapy) – warned that it would take 18 months before my quads and left knee were fully recovered.  

I am immensely grateful to Malcolm Nicol and his team at Raigmore for their brilliant repair job. My thanks also to the ward staff at Raigmore, the A&E Department and the local ambulance service at Kingussie for their excellent care.


Our NHS may not always be perfect but it is absolutely worth fighting to protect it. I shudder to think how much similar treatment would have cost me in the United States.....   
 
 One last outing for the brace: 11th April 2018
(above and below)

Should create a sensation on a cat walk... 
 


 

No comments: