Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Wednesday 7 October 2009

Friends reunited!

Karine and Stéphane Sérol

I was delighted to receive this message yesterday from Chris Piper of Christopher Piper Wines based in Devon.

'Thanks to your review of your visit to the Sérols at Renaison, Stéphane and I have been in touch with each other and he sent us samples of all his wines for my buying team to look at when I got back from my harvest in Beaujolais. We were very impressed with many of the wines but agree with you that there are far too many not to be confused! In the end we have decided to import the 2008 Les Vieilles Vignes which we felt was full of terroir minerality, typicity and freshness. Great crunchy fruit rounded it off.

So thanks to your blog, two old (or one old and another a wee bit younger) wine making friends have got together again and done some business!

A huge thank you and I must say, I thoroughly enjoy reading your output.'



Stéphane had made wine with Chris in the mid-1990s but they had lost touch as Chris explained when I reported on my visit to the Sérols:

'Stéphane Sérol worked three harvests for me as stagière in the winery at Château des Tours (Brouilly) when I was making its wines in the mid-1990's.He was a bright individual and very proud of what his father had achieved. What are the Sérol wines like today - I'd love to know...?'

(Jim's Loire had no direct involvement in this reunion.)

No comments: