Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Tuesday 13 August 2013

Our Highland jaunt 2013: Loch Broom and Ullapool

 Loch Broom with Ullapool in the distance 

On the long but beautiful drive up from Gairloch to John O'Groats we had a brief stop-off at the attractive little port of a Ullapool. The ferry to Stornaway (Isle of Lewis) leaves from here.

 Loch Broom south of Ullapool

 Isolated white house and track on shore of Loch Broom

The port (above and below)


Tall ship in the port


Loch Broom from Ullapool

 Caley Oil Ltd

Motorbike

 White houses along Ullapool quay (above and below)


 More of the pretty, well looked after houses along the waterfront

 Waterfront to east of port

3 comments:

Luc Charlier said...

Nice pictures again, Jim.
Loved Ullapool myself, although I must have had one of the worst cooked salmon steaks in the whole of my life (boiled, overboiled and unseasonned) there. And no lemon available! I admit it was during the summer of 1983 and things have changed since then, I guess. We were on our way to Durness, not John o’Groats. I remember the cute little white houses, the colourful seafront and the collection of pubs.
Had a similar lovely feeling in Kyle of Lochalsh (a dream to pronounce) and a similarly poor experience with greasy fish & chips!

Jim's Loire said...

Thanks Luc. I think you would be delighted by the quality of the food now available in parts of the Highlands today.

Luc Charlier said...

Yes, Jim, that’s what I’m alluding to. And I hope “bar food”, the type offered in pubs and inns, follows suit. When the weather really precludes any outside activities (it happens in that part of the world), even for the brave, gastronomy is the only escape. I’ve also been told, though, that the price tags have made a huge step forward as well. Since Maggy brought Scotland back to its true costs – and I do not say I approve of this – this wonder of a land has become very expensive for travellers, has it not?