More than 300 people lost their lives in the earthquake and the subsequent tsunami. 75% of those casualties occurred in the Maule valleys and coastal areas. Regrettably, most of them died in the tsunami that the navy authorities failed to alert. As a result, hundreds of thousands of families in the south of Chile are in desperate need of food, water and a roof.
The Carignan Club member wineries agreed that the wines they will produce and promote must consist of a minimum of 65% Carignan while the remainder 35% is free of choice, as long as grapes originate in head-trained, dry farmed, old Maule vines (older than 30 years).
I asked Eduardo whether these vineyards were irrigated – not by drip feed but by traditional flood irrigation.