Awards and citations:


1997: Le Prix du Champagne Lanson Noble Cuvée Award for investigations into Champagne for the Millennium investment scams

2001: Le Prix Champagne Lanson Ivory Award for investdrinks.org

2011: Vindic d'Or MMXI – 'Meilleur blog anti-1855'

2011: Robert M. Parker, Jnr: ‘This blogger...’:

2012: Born Digital Wine Awards: No Pay No Jay – best investigative wine story

2012: International Wine Challenge – Personality of the Year Award




Monday 22 June 2009

Château du Petit Thouars, AC Touraine

Cabernet Franc Reserve: 2003, 2005, 2006

It was a bit of a saga getting the samples from Château du Petit Thouars delivered to me in the Loire – one attempted delivery when I wasn’t around in April and then one of two packages apparently stolen from the courier’s warehouse. Anyway I have now tasted the wine sent.

The Château du Petit Thouars is in Saint-Germain-sur-Vienne not far outside the Chinon appellation. A few years back the producers in this part of western Touraine applied to be included in the Chinon appellation but were turned down. Certainly the three reserve reds – 2003, 2005 and 2006 – I tried were Chinon-like and in each case true to their vintage. I fancy blind it would be difficult to pick them out from a range of Chinons.

The 2003 is typical of its year – ripe, concentrated, pruny and figgy fruit with some gamy tones. It does, however, have enough freshness in the finish to stop it from being cloying. It went very well with a meaty grilled tuna steak. The 2005 is quite tight but has potential with good concentration of smoky black fruits – best to keep this a couple of years for it to show its best. The gamy 2006 is less concentrated, more open with more acidity. Ready to drink now while waiting for the 2005. It went well with a slow roasted shoulder of lamb.

2008 Rosé lit up by the bright morning light of Cap d'Agde

I found the austere and bracing 2008 Thouars Rosé with its notes of red fruits and rhubarb less attractive – it could do with more fruit. It’s a rosé de saignée – so the juice for the rosé is bled off the red wine tanks helping to concentrate the reds with rosé being somewhat of a by-product. I fancy that Thouars would make a better rosé if they dedicated specific vineyards for their rosé and then either pressed the grapes immediately after picking or allowed a short maceration to get a more coloured rosé.

I also tasted their creamy and nicely balanced Crémant de Loire and the sparkling rosé, which should appeal to many, although I found it a little too sweet. I would prefer a slightly lower dosage.

Overall the three reserve reds were the best wines.



5 comments:

Jim's Loire said...

Thanks Steven.

Georges Meekers said...

I just love this crisp picture. If all roses were just as prolific as this picture...

Jim's Loire said...

Thanks Georges. Just a happy way that the Mediterranean light was shining that morning! I agree I think it works well.

Seb El Nigno said...

Hello Jim, I have just read your post and not only am I pleased by what I read on our three reserve reds but I also find all your comments (including the less enthusiastic ones) very constructive and accurate, especially on the 2005.If you happen to be driving in the area, please come and taste our latest vintages. If not we'll find a more efficient way to get the bottles to you nex time.
regards, Sebastien du Petit Thouars

Jim's Loire said...

Sebastien. I would certainly like to visit you and have indeed passed by your sign on a number of occasions travelling between Chinon and Saumur.

The problem as you can imagine is that there are so many Loire producers that I want to visit that I run out of time! However, I will try to visit you in 2010.

I imagine that you are pleased with 2009.

Kind regards

Jim